Friday, February 28, 2014

Something Old, Something New


Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Legend
Size: 5.25 x 50 ("Challenger")
Filler: Nicaraguan, Dominican
Wrapper: Havana-seed Connecticut
Price: $7.50

The HdM Excalibur was invented a while back--the 1970's, I believe-- because the public wanted the vintage taste of Hoyo de Monterrey in a milder, more palatable form. Fast-forward 40 years, and now the few cigar smokers left in America are in love with stronger, spicier, more flavorful smokes.  

So, introduced in 2008, the Excalibur Legend is being billed as the full-bodied younger brother of the now-classic mild Excalibur.  You can easily spot the Legend by the red stripe on the band.

I have no idea how one of these offshoots found its way into my humidor, but I'm always game for something new, so I gave it a taste.  Full-bodied is a little exaggerated, in my opinion.  I would say this cigar has hints of spice, medium body, a long finish, but a stub nose.  

It was a good cigar, paired well with a strong bourbon.  Would also do fine with a light scotch like Ardmore. It's very similar, in fact, to the traditional Hoyo de Monterrey.  I suspect General Cigar Co. may have just printed some new bands and slapped them on the same cigar they've been selling for decades.



No comments: