Monday, February 20, 2006


La Perla Black Pearl Cobre Robusto
Size: 4.7 x 52
Filler: Nicaraguan Wrapper: Ecuadorian-grown Connecticut
MSRP: $4.20


I won a couple of these as part of a CigarBid sampler. I smoked the first one during the 2nd half of the Alabama-TN basketball game at TJ Mulligans. My palate was already somewhat deadened by a strong JR Limitada Edicion in the first half, but my first blush at this cigar was that it was a mild stick, with a sweetish aroma. It burned well, lasted about 45 minutes, with not a lot of annoying smoke out the front, but still a very good draw. I smoked the 2nd one in the courtyard of a hotel in Eastover, SC. The sweetness was still present, but this time there was also a very definitive peppery taste. All in all, I was very pleased.

La Perla is a well-known boutique brand (www.laperlahabana.com). Made in the Carlos Tarano factory. Many of their other lines have scored '90' or above by Cigar Aficionado (I couldn't find a rating for the Cobre). The original Black Pearl, an oscuro, sells for $6-$7 apiece. I've also read good things about the Black Pearl Rojo

No comments: