Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pinar del Rio Oscuro Torpedo
Size: 6.5 x 52
Wrapper: Brazilian Oscuro
Filler: Nicaraguan and Dominican
Price: $6.40

Pinar del Rio cigars are manufactured in the La Fabrica factory, owned and operated by Abe Flores and Juan Rodriquez, in the Dominican Republic. This factory also produces several other brands such as Devils Weed, Don Leoncio, Flor de Cesar, and Top Shelf Signature Select White Label.

I had three of these cigars from a sampler pack I bought in July 2013.  I shared two of them with my brothers-in-law on vacation in Baneberry, TN.  We smoked them the first night by the pool.  It featured a dark, glossy brown wrapper (but in no way do I suspect it might be dyed).  Flavors were decidedly grassy, which is the death knell of many cigars in my opinion, but they worked ok on this one.  It was a mild-to-medium cigar (more to the mild side) but it featured a loose, creamy draw with just a hint of pepper spice on the tongue and in the nasal cavity.  Very smooth, flavorful, not overly complex but  kept me interested.  Burned for two hours, at least. 


I came away impressed and wishing I had a couple more to try. Paired well with Belle Meade bourbon over ice (but doesn’t everything?).

No comments: