Wednesday, April 04, 2012


Padron Churchill Maduro
Size: 6 7/8 x 46
Tobacco: Nicaraguan
Price: $5


My sister Alie gave me a 5-pack of Padron Churchill Maduros for my birthday last year. I have reviewed two vitolas of this cigar in the past, the 2000 (5x50) and the 7000 (6x60). This cigar, because of its narrow ring gauge, was more similar to the first: rich, earthy notes of coffee and hickory nuts. This cigar seemed a tad stronger and headier and smoked faster than I remember.

This was the perfect gift for me because I always use cigars to enhance and commemorate special evenings. So, a Padron Churchill enlivened my New Year's Eve jaunt to Beale Street to watch the Gibson guitar drop at midnight. Another memorable Padron Churchill accentuated my first night on vacation in Athens, Greece, capping off a wonderful meal of lamb and Cretian vino, overlooking the Acropolis all lit up at night. A few days later, a Padron helped me relax at an outdoor bar on the island of Santorini, overlooking the caldern and sipping a glass of Mataxa (the dry, semi-sweet, Greek version of brandy).

A gift from a sister I don't get to see often enough. A great cigar, paired with good memories.

No comments: