Tuesday, December 20, 2011


JR Alternative to Rocky Patel Edge
Size: 6.5 x 52 (Toro)
Tobacco: Honduras
Price: $2.15


I've been smoking the heck out of this bundle, which only has 10 months of age on it. I read on a message board several years back that the Honduran JR Alts are rolled in the same factory as the Rocky Patel Edge, so the JR Alt to RP Edge is probably in fact the same cigar. I don't know if this is true, but I can say these cigars certainly taste like the real thing; in fact, they taste more like the real thing than Rocky Patel's own Edge Counterfeits, which purport to be the same blend but are rolled in Nicaragua.

These cigars sport dark, very toothy wrappers. I've run across a few wrappers with dinks or tears, and a few others that appear pale or abnormally thin, which makes me think these are actaully seconds to RP Edge. But the full-bodied, spicy, complex taste is there. Construction on all cigars has been flawless.

In fact, right now I'm actually preferring these to the box of San Luis Rey with 17 months of age. (Although I admit SLR is a smoother experience with slower, cooler burn).

Highly recommended.

No comments: