Monday, August 02, 2010


Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto
Size: 5 x 50
Tobacco: Nicaraguan puro
Price: 10.80


Thank you, Cigars Direct! The Padilla Signature 1932 robusto is, hands down, the best Padilla cigar I've had. It has single-handedly restored my faith in the brand.

Before tonight, I've always been slighly disappointed in Padilla cigars. The Special Edition Cedro was relaxing, but too mild. The Habano was boring. The Obsidian was an experiment best forgotten. The Hybrids weren't spectacular, but at least show promise with aging (I think I've still got a box at the bottom of my humidor somewhere).

But the Signature 1932 Robusto was the best cigar I've had in several weeks. It had no flaws: A dark, smooth Corojo wrapper; a perfect burn; a spicy aroma; and (best of all) a rich, woody taste that coated my mouth like a fine, pungent scotch. It began with subtle spice, then shifted to flavors of oak (which reminded me of San Luis Rey) and then charcoal (reminiscent of Casa Magna). There was also a fragile undercurrent of some strange flavor, almost metallic, that put me in mind of a Black Pearl Cobre from several years back.

All in all, a complex and relaxing cigar that I am certain to try again...

No comments: