Tuesday, July 20, 2010




Patel Brothers Toro
Size: 6.5 x 52
Wrapper: Pennsylvania Broadleaf maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $10


I bought this cigar from a Rocky Patel rep at the Cigars for Aficionados lounge in Springfield, IL. This was the best cigar lounge I've ever been to, with two smoking rooms, card table, multiple widescreen televisions, and a fully stocked fridge. The regulars were extremely easy-going and frequently willing to share from their personal liquor cabinets.

This was also the lounge where I re-discovered the San Luis Rey, an excellent but forgotten treat.

I wish I could say the same for Patel Brothers. The sales guy said it was the strongest thing Rocky makes, but frankly it doesn't hold a candle to the now old-fashioned Edge Corojo. It was a decent maduro cigar, but lacked the sophistication of the OWR Maduro or the flavor of Edge. On par with Vintage, at best.

No comments: