Thursday, June 19, 2008

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero DL700 Maduro
Size: 6.5 x 60
Tobacco: Dominican, with Ecuadorian sun grown wrapper
Price: $6.79


Shaun brought me this imposing, dark monster of a cigar back from his favorite B&M in Birmingham. We enjoyed it on the back porch, sipping whiskey and watching a lightning storm for two hours. This cigar had us both in a heart-pounding sweat after about 20 minutes, it was so strong. Shaun finally gave up. I made it to the end, but only after laying it down twice.

La Flor Dominicana cigars are grown and manufactured by Litto Gomez. Their web site is very informative.

My cigar had a smooth, oily, very dark (almost black) wrapper. I was afraid at first it might be a dyed maduro, but it passed the wet finger test. Perhaps its color was a result of it being sun grown, rather than shade grown. It featured a bold, rich, spicy flavor, with an easy draw and a finish that lit my tongue on fire. Absolutely wonderful – although obviously not something I could handle every day.

No comments: