Tuesday, August 21, 2007


Oliveros 1927
Size: 6.2 x 50
Tobacco: Cuban-seed Nicaraguan and DR
Price: $2.25

Bob Arnold gave me one of these cigars during the 4th of July party at Shaun's house. The cigar was made specially for Cigars International retailer to commemorate the founding of the Oliveros brand in Cuba in 1927. It features a dark "toothy" Brazilian wrapper--I'm not sure how to describe the texture other than it feels somewhat fuzzy on the lips, similar (in my mind) to the wrapper on a CAO Cameroon. It was a pleasant smoke with a good draw, although very very mild.



Duques (pronounced "du-kay")
Size: 7.0 x 50
Tobacco: DR
Price: $1

I've yet to find that elusive $1 cigar that really sets my taste buds on fire. I've seen cigar chat-room aficionados who claim they are out there. I can't lay that claim on Duques either, but I will say for the price it was much better than I thought it would be. It lasted nearly two hours and although it started off too mild, it built up to a decent medium-body around the final quarter of the stick. Much better than the $1 Thompson brands I've had over the years.

No comments: