Wednesday, January 31, 2007


Carlos Torano Signature Collection
Size: 6 x 50 (Toro)
Wrapper: Sun Grown Brazilian Maduro
Filler: Dominican Republic / Nicaraguan
Price: $4.45

As this was my first Torano cigar, I gave it every chance to be successful. I smoked it with friends at a Memphis martini bar (Swig) and I paired it with a great single malt scotch (Glenkichie). At first, it did not disappoint. It featured a strong, sweet pre-light aroma. It lit evenly and burned slowly, tasting heavily of nuts with maybe a hint of coffee flavor. But after I smoked through the first third, the cigar turned very bland and even though it continued to smoke well, it became nearly tasteless after a while.

I tried everything I could think of: I slowed down my smoking rate. I switched to a new drink (vodka martini). But nothing could bring back the taste. A few hours later, I followed it up with a CI Legends White Label (by Comacho), and even though Legends is just an inexpensive house brand, it was a much more satisfying cigar.

My only condolence was that at least the Carlos Torano was free – I got it as part of an internet promotion.

No comments: