Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Mister B's Handmade Cigars

You can't get many handmade cigars for $0.50 apiece, so I ordered a few bundles from JRCigars.com when they became available. Apparently, I'm not the only one who's had this epiphany, because more often then not these cigars are out of stock.

First, it just can't be ignored, these are some ugly stogies. The wrappers are often wrinkled, vein-y (is that a word?), and bumped. That's probably why they're sold at such low prices. But most of them smoke well, because as we all know, the wrapper rarely affects taste or burn. They are loosely wrapped concoctions, with fair but not great quality tobacco. On the plus side, they smoke fast when you don't have much time, but they also tend to go out quickly if you don't attend to them often. I don't particularly care for the taste of the naturals, but the maduros were smooth.

I may try them again, but for now I'd rather pay a little extra ($1.25) for the JR Alternatives






Macanudo Crystal Cafe

James and Laura gave me a box of 8 for my 30th birthday. & let me say, these are easily the best Macanudos I've ever had. Smooth, evenly rolled, slow-burning, perhaps a bit too mild -- but definitely a Ritzy cigar. They come in airtight glass tubes with foam-padded, gold-tasselled corks at the top. I probably can't justify the price (nearly $5 apiece), but a very good smoke. Redeemed the Macanudo brand name, in my opinion -- just don't give me anymore of those damn Hampton Courts!

















Excalibur Prensado (JR Alternative)

Another excellent heavy-bodied cigar from the JR Alternative line for the economically challenged. As good as -- if not maybe a tad better -- than the JR Ultimates.

No comments: