Wednesday, February 26, 2003


Cigar Review: Arturo Fuente Curly Head Deluxe
Filler: Dominican Republic
Size: 43 x 6 1/2 inches
Style: Lonsdale
MSRP: $1.60


A few weeks ago, I really wanted to enjoy my first Fuente Curly Head because (I thought) it was the only Fuente brand that could fit into my budget, but I lamented that it had an extremely bitter taste. Then, I found the Curly Head Deluxe. Still priced under $3, this cigar is bigger than its counterpart and does not have the bad taste. Furthermore, it lasted over a full hour, easily the longest I've ever been able to nurture any cigar (It outlasted two beers and a very agonizing Alabama basketball game).

Still, there were some serious drawbacks to this cigar. It was mild, almost to the point of utter blandness; it had virtually no taste at all. The draw was too tight at first, but it loosened up considerably at the mid-point. There was average gumminess at the end, and bits of tobacco leaf kept sticking to my lips, a sign of poor construction. I also noted that it does not mix well with Guiness, but complements Killians very nicely.

I've read that this cigar is made of short filler, scraps from the rest of the Fuente line (including OpusX). I'll need to smoke another one of these before I can render final judgement.

No comments: