Monday, August 05, 2013

Alec Bradley MAXX Brazil
Size: 5 x 50
Tobacco: Brazilian, Colombian, Nicaraguan, Mexican, and Honduran
Price: $6.60

Heavy-bodied, earthy cigar with a Brazilian maduro wrapper.  Tastes nearly identical to the CAO Brazilia, including those same heady, rich, shifting aromas.  As a rule, I find Brazilan wrappers to be the most aromatic but with muted flavors.  Perfect draw with a lots of white smoke.  Good construction. Paired on a cool August night with Jimmy Buffet music and rye whiskey.






Maria Guerrero Robusto
Size: 5 x 54
Wrapper: African Cameroon 
Filler: Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru
Price: $7

This cigar represents a revival of a classic Cuban brand originally created to capitalize on the sensual beauty of the much-heralded Spanish stage actress MarĂ­a Guerrero.

I picked up an old Maria Guerrera at a cigar store in Terre Haute, IN.  The cellophane was a dark, musty yellow, and I would proffer a guess this cigar was at least 5 or more years old.  It had that soft, mellow flavor of a well-aged cigar (it reminded me of the Bolivar I smoked in Megan's Bay on St. Thomas).  This cigar was mild-to-medium; not my favorite taste profile, but I do feel that mild cigars age better than strong cigars.  I would definitely try this one again.





Gran Habano Corojo Vintage 2002
Size: Churchill 7 x 50
Tobacco: Nicaraguan & Honduran
Price: $7 

The Vintage line from CI is an aged version of the GH #5 Corojo; the wrapper is aged 8 years before it is rolled.  Very smooth, with a long finish, but the cigar loses some of its punch over time.  The wrapper loses its glossy, oily texture.  I actually think I prefer this cigar with only 1 year of age on it.

No comments: