Sunday, February 22, 2009


Gran Habano #1 Connecticut Robusto
Size: 5 x 52
Wrapper: Connecticut
Tobacco: Nicaraguan (Habano)
Price: $4.50


I realize I panned Gran Habano in my first review (Sept 2007), but I've really come to like the #5 blend. After a few months in the humidor, the harshness and strength subside to reveal a very spicy, complex cigar. Likewise, the #3 (reviewed May 2008)is a satisfying medium-bodied smoke that goes well with a lager or light Islay scotch.

I was hoping for something similar with the #1, a very light, airy cigar that is slightly sweet on the tongue but slightly bitter on the finish. I've smoked two of them--one with breakfast in a forest cabin, the other while watching my daughter chase the dog around the backyard. I'm not usually a fan of mild cigars, but this one is actually pretty good in the morning.

No comments: