Tuesday, April 08, 2008


Fuente Fuente OpusX Super Belicoso
Size: 5.5 x 52
Tobacco: Dominican Puro
Price: $15-$50
To rest of the world, the Fuente Fuente OpusX is considered one of the rarest and most prestigious non-Cuban cigars on the market. To me, it will always be the "skunk cigar". While I was smoking it in Los Pines, Texas a skunk wandered out of the woods and right underneath my chair. My companion looked at me and said, in a very calm voice, "Uh uh, you better clip your cigar and get inside. That thing looks ready to spray." Needless to say, I wasn't about to ruin the cigar-- but I did haul butt off the porch and headed as fast as I could in the opposite direction. I stood by an open fire pit for half an hour, waiting for the skunk to leave, before I could retrieve my forgotten beer.

Cigar History: Although it needs no introduction, this cigar gained its reputation for its Dominican Rosado wrapper. Dominican puros are rare, primarily because the climate does not make it easy to grow good wrappers. Both Fuentes--Carlos Sr. and Jr.--developed the cigar in the 1990's and each year they release a limited batch for the holidays. OpusX are not difficult to locate (CigarsDirect has them here!) and when they are, they go in the $40 and up range. I know in Memphis, at least one B&M sells them for $15, but only to loyal customers--a kind of "thank you" for doing business with them throughout the year.
Appearance: A shiny, glossy wrapper. No defects or noticeable veins. A heady aroma and spicy prelight taste on the tongue.
How did it taste?: When I lit this cigar, I was first surprised by the full, peppery taste. I had not heard that OpusX were considered to be strong cigars and this began very much similar to the Fuente God of Fire. However, the strength/spice quickly abated and was replaced by something interesting: alternating tastes that reminded me, in turns, of a Fuente Hemingway, an Indian Tabac Fire, and a Punch Gran Puro. It was like taking the best characteristics of many different types of cigars and rolling them into one very unique and hard-to-describe experience. It was exceptionally balanced, smooth, and never boring.
Although I almost hate to award such a high score (especially not twice in 10 days), I have to give this a perfect 10-Leaf rating.

No comments: