Tuesday, August 28, 2007


Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 (natural)
Size: 6" x 47
Tobacco: DR
Price: $4.10

I picked up this cigar at the Tobacco Corner in Memphis. This cigar is the same size as the Fuente Hemingway Signature, which I reviewed a few weeks ago. Although the 858 is half the price of the Hemingway, I am convinced they are the exact same cigar (except the Hemingway is a perfecto, while the 8-5-8 is not). They both started off mild/medium, then picked up strength and that same unmistakable spicy/pepper taste. They burn for an hour and a half, getting better the longer you smoke them. Addictive. Like I said before, these may be the best Non-Cuban cigars on the planet.













Sancho Panza Double Maduro Quixote
Size: 4.5 x 50
Tobacco: Honduran, Nicaraguan, DR
Price: $3.35

I've read some rave reviews about Sancho Panza cigars on the internet, so I plucked this robusto out of the back corner of the Tobacco Corner humidor. I'm on a good run: that's two days in a row I've gotten off work early to kill an hour and a half talking to the regulars over there.

These cigars are pretty to look at, with their dark rough-hewn oscuro wrappers. But honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about. Yes, they're inexpensive, but I can name half a dozen JR alternatives or bona-fide seconds that I'd prefer. Other than a typical heavy maduro flavor, there was nothing to this smoke. There was no complexity to the flavor, no lingering finish or pleasing aroma. It did not taste very good and it was dull to boot.

(At least the conversation at the B&M was worth the trip!)



No comments: