Sunday, April 15, 2007



Roly by Sr. Rolando Reyes (Puros Indios second)
Size: 6 x 54

My travel humidor was running low during my trip to Poland, so I kept an eye out for cigar shops on my Saturday visit to Gdansk. The only thing I could find was a small liquor store with a table top humidor offering possibly the worst selection of cigars I've ever seen assembled in one place: Santa Clara 1830, Mocambo (Mexican), Mister B's, and Roly. The Mister B's were 3 Zlotys each (or about $1), while all the others were 17 zlotys ($6).

Because I was tired of shopping and really wanted to sit down in a cafe and soak up the ambience, I willingly overpaid for the the Roly. It featured a bumpy, light brown wrapper with several small tears near the base of the cap, but still it smoked with an easy draw. It had a very mild taste, similar to the Puros Indios Nacionales, which was somewhat unfortunate because I had paired it with a glass of Zywiec, a stout Polish lager, and the cigar was somewhat overwhelmed.

While the Roly is not something I would purchase again, I can't complain too much about it. It took over an hour to smoke, held a respectable ash without any touch ups, and allowed me to whittle away the late afternoon at the Old Town Hall watching the locals stroll past.

No comments: