Friday, December 15, 2006


San Luis Rey Reserva Especial
Size: Rothchilde: 5" x 54
Filler: Mix of Honduran, Nicaraguan, Peru
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Price - $3


The first time I heard of these cigars was at Eastover Paper Mill, when I ran into a mechanic smoking a cigar outside the training complex about 6:30 a.m. I asked him if the cigar was any good and he told me it was one of the best, a San Luis Rey. So, when I saw this one sitting in the humidor at a local B&M, I decided to put his judgement to the test.

It had a light brown wrapper, and burned slow with a good draw. The aroma and taste was reminiscent to me of a Padron cigar; nothing particularly distinctive but obviously well-constructed with high quality tobacco. A medium body with a light finish.

Unfortunately, I mis-timed how long it would take Shaun to grill dinner, and I had to extinguish this cigar midway. When I returned to it after dessert, the flavor was distintively more bitter (similar to what a Punch Corojo does after relight.)

Still, I noticed that JR Cigars is selling these for $2 apiece. Definitely worth another shot -- perhaps I'll use the gift card Alie gave me for my birthday!

No comments: