Monday, December 18, 2006


Camacho Coyolar Puro #1
Shape: Perfecto (tapered at both ends, like a double-sided torpedo)
Size: 4.5 x 50
Filler: Honduran, Cuban-seed ligero
Price: $4


This small cigar came to me as part of a gift bag that Laura sent for my birthday. I smoked it first, while watching Kedron play outside with the dog. I chose it primarily because I have not tried many perfecto-shaped cigars. It was interesting; the draw, heat, and taste varied throughout the 'life' of the cigar, correlating to the ring gauge at that point.

This cigar was also the first I've ever tried that was composed 100% of ligero leaf. Usually ligero is added as part of a blend to add "strength" or "body" to the flavor. I know the proprietor of JR Cigars went on record saying he didn't like this cigar because it took no skill to make it: it was just a gimmick to make the strongest cigar on the planet, no matter what it tastes like. But those criticisms notwithstanding, this cigar has already won one award from Cigar Cyclopedia and will likely win more.

Personally, I thought the taste was very, very good. It had that same strong, bitter afterthought that I noticed in the Camacho Havana and the Legends White Label, but this cigar had more lemon-sour than "Cuban dirt" in its flavor profile (which is how one guy reviewed the Legends White online). However, the taste was too overpowering and eventually gave me the hiccups and a nicotine buzz -- which I haven't experienced in a long time.

I like strong cigars, but this one may have been too much. I'll try these again -- but next time on a full stomach!

Postscript 11-24-09: It took me 3 years to get around to it, but I finally tried another Camacho Coyolar, this time on a full stomach. Still a very tasty, full-bodied smoke. Not nearly as overpowering as I remember it.

No comments: