Friday, July 28, 2006


La Perla Habana Black Pearl Rojo
Size: 6.0 x 50 (Toro)
Wrapper: Habana Corojo
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: $4.50 (retail), or $3.00 (online discounter)


This is the sister cigar to the Black Pearl Cobre, which I've already reviewed. They are both medium- to full-bodied, but the corojo wrapper lends hints of a fruity-apple taste, rather than the alternating sweet-and-spice combination of the criollo wrapper. It really goes well with a glass of pinot noir after dinner. (It also tastes very similar to the Punch Rare Corojo).

Unfortunately, although 3 of the 5 I've tried so far have been excellent, the other two had serious problems with construction. One canoed on me from the start and just refused to play right, even after I had to re-clip and relight. Another one had a very dry wrapper, torn in multiple places. (It was so bad I thought maybe something had gone awry with my humidor. I threw it away and tried a 2nd one, which fortunately was in perfect condition.)

The Black Pearl Rojo recently scored a '90' in Cigar Aficionado.

No comments: