Monday, February 13, 2006


Legends Series Comacho - White Label
Filler: Honduran
Wrapper: Habano
Size: 5.75 x 54
MSRP: $4


A few years ago, Cigars International (a large wholesaler) asked some of the best-known boutique (or small production) cigar manufacturers to create new blends that would serve as a sort of CI "house label" and would retail for $5 or under. All cigars had to be a large toro, 5.75"x54 in size. The idea was that the manufacturers would compete to see who could come up with the best blend.

The White Label is made by Christian and Julio Eiroa, makers of the Comacho brand (they also make Bacccarat and the very forgettable National Brand bundled cigar). In my opinion, this a very complex cigar. I've smoked five or six of them and they all start off very strong -- actually, the adjectives harsh, bitter, and overpowering come to mind. Then, they cool off , mellow out, before finally becoming stronger again a little over half-way through. (In this aspect, they are similar to the Comacho I reviewed a few weeks ago.)

They burn very evenly and slowly, usually lasting well over an hour, even though the draw seems rather loose. I won't say they taste good--not exactly--but they are very distinct and powerful. I honestly cannot explain the fact that on more than one occassion I have found myself craving them over other cigars that I usually like a lot more. Tonight, I passed over a CAO, Padron, Gurkha, and JR Alt-Monte in favor of this more rough-and-tumble variety. The more I smoke, the better I like them.

I got this box on CigarBid @ $1.62 per stick. If I can find similar deals in the future, I'd like to try some of the other Legends series, too.

No comments: